This is the original design for the “Occlusoscope” that was patented in 1937. It was later simplified. As was Phillips' earlier articulator designs, the purpose of the “Occlusoscope” was to record mandibular movement obtained with his “Gothic Recorder”, an extra-oral “gothic arch” tracer with a central bearing point. The central bearing point was an innovation presented by Phillips to the dental profession in 1926.
The lower member or stand of this instrument projects forward to include a cast holder and flat incisal table. The upper T-shaped member is centrally connected to the stand through a spring loaded universal ball and sliding barrel joint. The occlusal vertical dimension can be changed or a retrusive movement can be made with this device. The upper member is also supported by two vertical pins that function within lateral (condylar) units. In these units the vertical pins rest on horizontal (glenoid fossae) discs that control the vertical displacement and are guided horizontally by gothic arch-forming adjustable blades. The upper cast holder features a universal joint carriage for adjusting the position of the upper cast and a simple hinge joint allows working access to the casts. Anterior to the cast holder is an incisal pin resting on a flat incisal guide table.
Phillips GP: Use of the Occlusoscope. J Am Dent Assoc 1939; 26: 1332-1340.
Dr. Edgar N. Starcke's articles in the Journal of Prosthodontics have more information on the history of articulators.