Established in 1958 under the leadership of Dr. Richard Jennings, the "Department of Preventive Dentistry" at The University of Texas School of Dentistry went by that name until 1982, when it was renamed "Department Pediatric Dentistry."
It has always been a standalone department, with the exception of 1993-99, when it became a division of the new Department of Craniofacial Growth and Development, along with the Division of Orthodontics.
Initially, the primary clinical location for UTSD's pediatric dentistry program was Texas Children’s Hospital. However, selected residents might spend their second year of training at Driscoll Children’s Hospital in Corpus Christi. The yearly rotation to Driscoll ended in 1980.
In 1985, the clinical portion of the postgraduate program moved from Texas Children’s Hospital to the School of Dentistry. In 1994, the postgraduate clinic moved to its current off-campus location within the Houston Medical Center building, 6655 Travis Street, Suite 460.