General Practice Residency (GPR)
Acceptance to the Preceptor Program does not in any way guarantee acceptance to any of the graduate residency programs. Individuals interested in graduate residency programs are required to apply to those programs through normal mechanisms. For inquires regarding licensure in Texas, visit the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners website. Information about licensure in other states is available from the ADA website under "licensures."
Information about tuition and fees will be provided to you in the information/application packet. Please understand that your acceptance into the Preceptor Program will not allow us to refund any or portions of the tuition and fees. As noted in the acceptance letter, failure to make payments in full will result in dismissal from the Preceptor Program. The application fee is $350.
Preceptor applicants are required to submit the following documentation:
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) course-by-course evaluation report of applicant’s transcript from the dental school attended.
- A copy of the applicant’s dental diploma.
- A copy of applicant's resume and/or CV in English.
- Two letters of recommendation from dental professionals.
- A copy of National Board Part I scores (as specified by program).
- A copy of applicant’s TOEFL scores.
- Record of up-to-date immunizations.
- A letter from physician stating applicant is in general good health.
The Preceptor Program begins July 1 and runs through June of the following calendar year (example: July 1, 2015 – June 30, 2016). Upon request, the AEGD, GPR, Non-Provider Periodontics, and Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology Preceptor Programs will accept applicants for six-month programs.
As the Preceptor Program is non-accredited programs, The University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston cannot provide financial assistance toward tuition fees.Request an Application Packet
If you are a non-domestic applicant, we will work with the Office of International Affairs to assist with the appropriate documentation you will need to enter the U.S. to participate in the Preceptor Program. This process typically requires 12–16 weeks and must be completed before you enter the U.S. Please be aware that the Office of International Affairs will require you to submit documents of financial support in order to process a visa.