School of Dentistry hosts College of Diplomates Board Review Course
Published: February 08, 2023 by Kyle Rogers
UTHealth Houston School of Dentistry served as the host for the 13th Annual College of Diplomates Board Review Course and Scientific Update in February.
Held Feb. 3-5 in the Denton A. Cooley, MD and Ralph C. Cooley, DDS University Life Center, the Board Review Course and Scientific Update aided candidates preparing for the American Board of Endodontics’ certification examinations, as well as diplomates needing recertification credits and all dentists interested in endodontic continuing education credits. The in-person course offered 20 continuing dental educations credits.
Through the three-day event, participants were able to gain insight into the pertinent content and process of endodontic board certification; advance the specialty practice of endodontics and enhance oral health care for the public; and discuss topics that cover the full breadth of the endodontic specialty.
The 2023 offering marked UTHealth Houston School of Dentistry’s second time to host the Board Review Course and Scientific Update.
“It was an honor for the School of Dentistry to host this course which brought together world-renowned speakers with endodontists and residents from around the country, many who are in preparation to challenge the board certification process,” said Professor Timothy Kirkpatrick, DDS, chair of the Department of Endodontics.
A series of speakers covered a wide spectrum of endodontic topics through live-lecture presentations and included:
- “Inflammation and Immunology”
“Mechanisms and Management of Odontogenic Pain”
- Asma Khan, BDS, PhD, UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
- “Endodontic Microbiology”
- Anil Kishen, BDS, MDS, PhD, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- “Evidence-Based Endodontics”
- Amir Azarpazhooh, DDS, MSc, PhD, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- “ABE Boardwalk”
- Timothy C. Kirkpatrick, DDS, UTHealth Houston School of Dentistry
- “Evidence-based Outcomes of Nonsurgical and Surgical Endodontic Treatment”
- Shimon Friedman, DMD, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- “Dental Trauma”
- Rebeca Weisleder Urow, DDS, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry
- “Vital Pulp Therapy and Regenerative Endodontics”
- George Huang, DDS, MSD, DSc, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry
- “Endodontic Surgery”
- Samuel Kratchman, DMD, University of Pennsylvania School of Dentistry
- “Preparing for the Oral Examination”
- John Neal, DDS, MS, College of Diplomates
- “Radiographic Interpretation”
“Diagnostic Process/Oral Pathology”
- Vijay Parashar DDS, MDSc, Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine
- “Medically Complex Endodontic Patient”
- Lauren L. Patton, DDS, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Adams School of Dentistry
The Board Review Course is conducted annually prior to the March board examinations and is jointly sponsored by the College of Diplomates and an ADA-recognized endodontic program at a university in the U.S.